Kasauli or Kasuli is a picturesque hill station in the Solan district of Himachal Pradesh of northern India. Kasauli town is located at a distance of about 75 km from Shimla, 65 km from Chandigarh and 320 km from Delhi, at an altitude of about 1800 metres above sea level.
The name Kasauli came from Kausalya, a mountain stream which flows between Kasauli and Jabli. The serene place of Kasauli has been mentioned in the epic Ramayana. As per the legends, Kasauli came in to origin when Lord Hanuman stepped here on his way to Sanjeevani Hill to procure the medicinal herb ‘Sanjeevani’ in order to save the badly wounded Lakshmana.
The history of Kasauli remains obscure till the 17th century. In the 17th century, some Rajput families fled their homes from Rewari, present-day Haryana, due to troubled political conditions. They took refuge in Kasauli village, situated in the foothills of the Dhauladhar Ranges of the lower Himalayas, near a fresh water spring.
In the year 1814, the Governor-General of the British East India Company, Lord Amherst, decided to promote Shimla Hills as the gateway to the British establishments in India. As a result, Col. Tapp who was the political personnel at Sabathu Fort, a rejuvenating place for the British, came to survey the area of Kasauli. Kasauli became a prominent part of the Gurkha expansion in the 19th century after the negotiations done by some local chieftains and the British.
Kasauli became a major garrison town of the British Raj and many locals joined the British Army. During the First Battle of Indian Independence, also known as the Sepoy Mutiny, which took place in 1857, Kasauli witnessed an upsurge among its soldiers.
About eighty Indian soldiers, who were stirred by the movement, decided to join hands with the rebels in the Gurkha Regimen. But they were left alone when the rebels from the Gurkha regimen backed out after negotiations with the British. The British authorities could easily crush the rebel movement of Kasauli and the soldiers were given severe punishment.
Since Kasauli is a cantonment town of the Indian Army today, the entry to Kasauli is limited. Some of the famous institutions in Kasauli are the Central Research Institute (1905), Kasauli Club (1880) and Pasteur Institute (1900).
Cottage and deluxe room
- Multi – Cuisine Restaurant
- 24 Hours Hot and running water
- In house laundry services
- Luxurious Accommodation
- Variety of Cuisines
- Room services
- Variety of board games
- Table tennis
- Hanging ball
- Basket ball
ATTRACTION OF KASAULI
Anglican Church: Built in the shape of a cross. A grove of chestnut and fir trees surround this 159-year-old structure.
Sunset point: Situated on upper mall, Kasauli 100 mts ahead of Kasauli Club. Sunset view from this place is a moment to treasure.
Kasauli Club: Established in 1880, this is one famous club in Himachal Pradesh. Only members and the military officers serving in Kasauli are entertained in the same.
The highest point in Kasauli called Monkey Point. It’s just 4Kms from the Kasauli bus stand. A small temple is also situated on the top of the hill, which is dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
Built in the shape of a cross. A grove of chestnut and fir trees surround this 159-year-old structure. The church was built by the British families who also laid the foundation of Kasauli town in 1842.
Situated on upper mall, Kasauli 100 mts ahead of Kasauli Club. Sunset view from this place is a moment to treasure. After the Sun-sets one can see an eagle eye view of the far but clear bright lights of Chandigarh, Panchkula, Baddi, Nalagarh, Kalka and Pinjore. Infact once can clearly see sukhna lake as well.
A beautiful 3 Km walk with different scenic views and old heritage building views, goes up-to Monkey Point, Kasauli. It’s mostly on a descending gradient.